Street names give a glimpse of a location’s history. Like a microcosm of the Philippines, Binondo’s rich narrative holds a treasure trove of icons best for naming its highways, roads, alleys, and esteros. Get to know some of the religious saints and influential personalities that have influenced the labels of landmark streets in Binondo.
(Currently Quintin Paredes Street)
Located right after Jones Bridge, Quintin Paredes Street extends all the way to Binondo Church. Its original name used to be Calle Rosario in honor of the Binondo Church’s patron Saint, Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary. Derivatives of her name also are Santo Rosario and La Naval.
Reina Regente Street
Maria Christina of Habsburg was an Austrian Archduchess who became Queen Regent of Spain from 1885-1902 until her son Alfonso XIII assumed power. It was during her regency that the Philippine Revolution and the Spanish-American War took place.
*Lucky Chinatown Mall is located in Reina Regente Street.
Juan Luna Street
(Formerly Calle Anloague)
Juan Luna was a Filipino artist and political activist of the Philippine Revolution. He was best known for painting Spoliarium that won the gold medal in the 1884 Madrid Exposition of Fine Arts. The painting currently hangs at the National Museum of Fine Arts.
*Most of Binondo’s banks dot Juan Luna Street.
(Formerly Calle Arranque)
Teodora Alonso Realonda was the mother and first teacher of Jose Rizal, a Philippine hero during the Spanish colonial period. After her family moved out of Calamba, Laguna, she transferred to a house in Binondo
*Clusters of hardware shops and electric supply shops line Alonzo Street. Ling Nam Noodle
Factory and Wonton Parlor could also be found here.
Its name was derived from the Spanish word escoltar. This street used to house the cavalry stables of the Governor General’s escorts. During its heyday, Escolta was dubbed as the “Queen of Streets”. It was the center of Manila’s financial district during pre-World War II. The first mall, first theatre, first airconditioned building was located here. It was the go-to place for all shopping, dining, and entertainment.
This oval plaza is currently located in front Binondo Church. It was named after the first Filipino saint, San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila. San Lorenzo used to serve as a sacristan at Binondo Church.
(Formerly Calle Jaboneros)
Miguel de Benavides was a Dominican friar who later became Archbishop of Manila. He established the Hospital de San Gabriel and bequeathed money in his will for an establishment which became the University of Santo Tomas.
Calle de Principe
(Currently Delpan Street)
Alfonso XIII is the son of King Alfonso XII and Queen Maria Christina of Habsburg. Calle de Principe was renamed Delpan Street after historian Jose Felipe del Pan, editor of Diario de Manila.
*Del Pan bridge is close to Manila Bay. Ferry terminals and the Del Pan Pier are among the fixtures of the area. Cargo trucks can be seen regularly plying this route.
(Currently Juan Luna Street)
This street name was derived from the Tagalog word “anluwagi” meaning carpenter. Skilled Chinese carpenters and craftsmen resided along this street so it was easy to shop for excellent wood furniture back in the day.
*Aside from banks, shirt shops line the opening of Juan Luna Street near Binondo Plaza.
(Formerly Calle Azcarraga)
Claro M. Recto was a notable Senator of the Philippines. He was the President of the 1934 Constitutional Convention that drafted the basic law of the country. He was also known for his poems and speeches.
*Three schools line Recto Avenue, these are University of the East, Far Eastern University, and San Sebastian College-Recoletos.